Sunday, October 3, 2010

I make the difference!

hmmm... so, I didn't realize just how tasking sorting trash could be!





   Ok, this week's task was making a difference and part of it was recycling.
Here in Nigeria, recycling waste (or anything at all) hasn't quite caught on yet. People still throw everything out, - together!
So for me, starting a sorting and recycling program at home was a challenge that i looked forward to, partly perplexed as to what to do with what i sorted and then HOW to recycle. I started with the sorting bit first; i got different bags for paper, plastics, clothes etc.


Here's the list of all the stuff that i threw away: 
i. perishable food items (plantain peels, onion skins, etc)
ii. bits and pieces of paper (old receipts, etc)
iii. discarded biscuit, sweet & chocolate wrappers
iv. used phone recharge vouchers
v. noodle wrappers

   Then it was on to my excesses. And I did realize that no matter how little I thought I had, there are those that really have less than I do. Things that I don't use anymore that I donated included:

i. my primary school text-books and old story books from way back - went to a neighbour of mine who's a single mother with 4 kids who are in school

ii. a few t-shirts - gave these to a young lad (Emeka) who lives a few houses away on my street

iii. old torn jeans (4 pairs) - well used and un-wearable, so into the trash they went

iv. a suit

v. old photography magazines

vi. old worn shoes (4 pairs) - gave my neighbour who rides a commercial bike (popularly known as 'Okada') a pair of Reebok sneakers, but no takers for these ones yet :-( 

   Ok, that done, it was now observation time: what I consume. As a young bachelor and business man, I tend to be on the move a lot and so eat out even though I prefer home cooked meals. I try to keep away from junk foods as much as possible, but i do have a sweet tooth and so eat a lot of chocolates and ice-cream *mouth watering already*; and another thing, i tend to make a lot of phone calls, both for business and personal relationships hence a lot of money goes into buying phone recharge vouchers.

So this week I made soup and stew and so cut down on eating out, that's about ₦1,500 per day multiplied by five days which comes to ₦7,500, about $50 on food this week. On sweets, about $10, making a total of $60 saved! But unfortunately, I didn't cut down on making calls this week.
So there, that's how my week was, see ya soon. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment